Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Brotherhood Spotlight: Ted Poatsy

In an effort to continually improve connections between undergraduate members of the brotherhood and graduates, we are asking a few brothers this summer to share a little bit about themselves--proudest accomplishments, ambitions, passions, whatever they'd like. We now shine the spotlight on Ted Poatsy, a '17 Classics and Computer Science double major on the club soccer team.

Brothers,
Hi, how’s it going? My name is Ted Poatsy and I am from Salfordville, PA, which is a mostly rural town about 40 miles outside of Philadelphia. In Salfordville, I grew up alongside of my two older sisters Laura and Carolyn. While I was growing up, my parents had a really hard time trying to slow me down, so they got me involved with soccer, baseball, and Boy Scouts. As a result, each of those have had a huge impact on what I do today.  I am still playing soccer, most recently for the college’s club team. This summer I started working with the local Boy Scout Troop in Hanover, so that I can help other kids become Eagle Scouts like I did. And as for baseball, I am a huge Chicago Cubs fan (I especially am a fan of Kyle Hendricks who is a Dartmouth `12). Before coming to Dartmouth, I spent four years at The Hill School, which is a boarding school in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
Poatsy decked out in Eagle Scout gear
At Dartmouth, I am currently declared as an Ancient History Major through the Classics Department, but am considering pairing it with either Government or Computer Science. I chose my major by finding departments whose professors both challenge me intellectually and help me develop skills that will be useful later in life. Outside of class, I work two jobs (Managing Dartmouth Green Corps, and UGA-ing Freshmen), and I stay active by playing club soccer and intramural sports for the house. 
Poatsy sporting his favorite house shirt
While I was living on a substance-free freshman hall in the River Cluster, I didn’t find myself going out to many fraternities. But, as the year progressed both Anka Tezcan `15 and Hector Iturbe `16, Tri-Kap brothers and members of the club soccer team, invited me to Tri-Kap and introduced me to who would become my favorite people on campus. In my sophomore fall, I decided to shake out at Tri-Kap because I found a brotherhood that was comprised of brothers who genuinely cared for one another. Over the last year, Tri-Kap has become my family.  Although I was away from the house for the two terms after I became a brother at Tri-Kap (one term was spent working for my congressman in Washington DC, the other was spent on the Classics FSP to Greece), I still feel closest to my brothers at Tri-Kap. In the future, I want the house to succeed in all of its endeavors so I am serving as one of the house’s Programming Chairs for the summer and I will serve as the Academic Chair for this upcoming fall. In the future, I hope to do whatever I can to help and support the brotherhood at 1 Webster Ave. 
Poatsy, his big, Robbie Bhattacharjee '15, and Robbie's girlfriend Christine Lu '16
In terms of a future jobs, I have ambitions to get involved with management consulting or investment banking so that I can have the experience and financial flexibility to work towards a JD-MBA degree. Though I am still uncertain about what I would like to do for a career, I could see myself starting my own law firm or going into politics. Whatever career I choose, I aim to stay involved with the Boy Scouts.
YiK,

Ted “Honey Punches of Poats” Poatsy `17

No comments: