Sunday, November 02, 2014

Brotherhood Bio: Charles Cai

In an effort to highlight some of the interesting things that brothers are doing, we will be putting up some posts that allow brothers to share their passions. Below, Charles Cai, a member of the '16 class and one of our Rush Chairs, talks a little bit about his experience with music and singing with the Aires. 

Golf for me has been such a huge part of my life ever since I took it up at the age of 8 and I wouldn’t be where I am today without it. It all started when I was down in Myrtle Beach, SC on a family vacation, and my dad and I went to the driving range for the first time ever. Despite our lack of experience, we both had a ton of fun and got hooked onto the sport. I am grateful I was able to go through the many ups and downs of golf throughout the years with my dad, who has been there every step of the way.
Charles, third from the left, with other members of the golf team.

In high school, I also ran cross country and winter track but golf was still my main focus come springtime. In the summers, I would spend countless hours working on my game and traveling across the country competing in junior tournaments. Some of my best memories have come from competing and dealing with the pressure that’s present during the last few holes of a golf tournament. Golf has taught me how to remain cool and collected in the heat of the moment, which I think was one of the reasons why Danny Katz ’16 and I were able to win Masters this summer.
Danny Katz '16 and Charles following their victory at Masters
At Dartmouth, I am a member of the varsity golf team and also our team’s DP2 mentor and Student Athlete Advisory Committee representative. My freshman year, I was voted as the team’s Rookie of the Year and have enjoyed every moment on the team. One of the most enjoyable aspects is the long van rides we take traveling to tournaments as we share stories and crack jokes. We just wrapped up the fall season a few weeks back and it was a successful one. We started off the season with 2 straight wins as a team and the freshmen were able to gain a lot of invaluable experience. We hope to build on this momentum and carry it into the spring season, which culminates in the Ivy League Championship during the last week.

Yours in Kappa,
Charles Cai '16

No comments: