Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Brother Bio: Josh Schoenbart '16

In an effort to highlight some interesting projects that current brothers are working on, we will be putting up some posts that allow brothers to share their passions. Below, Josh Schoenbart will talk a little bit about his experience starting and running his own business. 

Josh Schoenbart '16 (right) with his big, Anthony Zhao '14
My name is Joshua Schoenbart, I am a member of the Class of 2016 from New York City, a Business/Sociology major, the current Houseman at Tri-Kap, and the CEO and Founder of The EyeBook. I also sit on the Board of the Innovation Center and New Venture Incubator as Associate of Business Development and Operations.

Though I have always had an entrepreneurial spirit, I learned about the optometric industry from my father, an optometrist in Long Island. After understanding the operations and intricacies of the industry, I decided to act on my keen interest and enter the field myself. My career as a businessman within the eye care industry began in 2004 when I assisted Long Island optometric practitioners and eyeglass stores in buying and selling eyewear. Through e-commerce and online stores, I was successfully able to facilitate the buying and selling processes of both eyeglasses and sunglasses. 

After continuing this venture for over six years, I decided to start my own line of eyeglasses in 2010. Despite designing each frame and beginning the production process in factories worldwide, I soon realized the inefficiencies, strong competition, and time consumption that my venture entailed. Thus, I decided to place my idea on hold and focus my attention on another endeavor. I was determined to remain in the optometric industry, and sought to create a service-based site that would benefit practitioners while improving the accessibility of optometric health services. Soon thereafter, The EyeBook was born. With its extensive directory of 5000+ highly qualified and specialized eye care professionals, The EyeBook serves as the best tool on the web for helping thousands of patients find the right optometric professional in their area and for connecting these professionals with patients. I am also a Partner of Glass-U, an exiting new startup licensed to 200+ universities and nearly every fraternity and sorority in the country. It has been featured at events such as The Rose Bowl and Lollapalooza and has recently become the official distributor for the FIFA WorldCup this summer for all North and South American Countries as well as all Asian countries.

YiK,

Joshua Schoenbart

No comments: